Saturday, June 23, 2007

Dawn of a New Day

Well, it should be no secret of what industry I work in. For those that don't know, this is my project. Yesterday, we were given the green light for launch on July 7. I have mixed emotions about this; let me explain.

I love what I do, but sometimes I hate my job. There is something very satisfying about doing a job that you know will contribute to what I call the Greater Good -- expanding our knowledge of our world. I also like the fact that I will most likely be challenged every day to figure out something for which there is no answer to -- it's never been done before, so we're writing the answers. These are the things that keep me where I am.

Then there's the dark side. Unrealistic budgets; overly constrained schedules; negligent, inexperienced, stubborn contractors; ego-driven managers; and the worst part, which is the Dirty Little Secret of my business -- that all of the previously listed problems will be overcome by literally thousands of off-the-books hours of labor by stellar engineers whose conscience won't let them sit idly by and watch the spectacular failure of a mission that, by many accounts, should fail.

I could go on and on, and if anyone is interested in hearing more let me know. But the whole point here is to say be sure to watch on July 7 -- I'll be on NasaTV -- and while it looks cool, it's not all good.

Qui sème la merde, la récolte puis la trouve

1 Comments:

Blogger noel said...

considering how pervasive this is in industry, "thousands" is a gross underestimate, even on a log scale.

6/23/2007 03:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home